It’s time to kick back and enjoy games, puzzles, food and family. Put your feet up and take a minute to enjoy our quiz.
A GARDENING QUIZ
- Which country donates a Christmas tree to stand in London’s Trafalgar Square each year? a. Sweden, b. Canada, c. Norway
- It is a common custom to kiss under a sprig of mistletoe at Christmas.
What is unusual about the plant? a. it is a parasite, b. it grows only on apple trees, c. it is bad luck to bring it into the house.
- Where do poinsettia plants originate? a. Hawaii, b. Mexico, c. Brazil
- What part of a tree is used to make cork? a. bark, b. root tissue, c. pulped seeds
- The love apple is the original name for what? a. potato, b. tomato, c. quince
- Camellias belong to which plant family? a. heather, b. iris, c. apple
- In Labrador, which vegetables are saved from summer, hollowed out, fitted with a candle and given to children at Christmas? a. cucumbers, b. pumpkins, c. turnips
- What is a cloche? a. a cover to protect plants, b. a type of fruit, c. a way of digging
- What is the latin name for holly? a. helix, b. ilex, c. felix
- What defines a plant as a shrub? a. grows bigger than other plants, b. develops a woody stem, c. never changes its shape
Answers 1- b, 2-a, 3-b, 4-a, 5-b, 6-a, 7-c, 8-a, 9-a, 10-b
And a big THANK YOU goes out to those merry little elves who have once again decorated the trees at the Oak St traffic circle.
Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS, Hoe, Hoe, Hoe! and Happy digging in 2017!
From all of us at Chemainus Communities in Bloom